Sunday, September 13, 2009
So I thought about the army.....
If you know the ben folds song then you'll know how my experience with the army was :) (I really like that song except for the bomb in the beginning). So before I get into that, I finished my school subjects in the summer and surprisingly enough, got A's in both subjects. (Really don't know how that happened). At the beginning of August I went to chilliwack for basic training with the reserves. For me, it was a fairly brutal experience. It's a tough program to go through to start and I think I just had too much stress going into a training program that is meant to induce stress on you. I had the tiling company to worry about, my family (where I knew Sarah was having kind of a difficult time with the kids) and other things. This just amounted to to much stress for me and it just wasn't worth it to me. Could I have made it through the training? no doubt, but I would also have to do two more 1 month training sessions and work at least once a week with them while I was going to school. The negatives outweighed the positives for me, but I gained a new found respect for the army. Anyway, I came home on my birthday and the next day we left for calgary with Laura. For a well documented description of this trip, please refer to Sarahs blog. It was a lot of fun. I've now been in school for a month and a half. This semester I'm taking calculus, chemistry, physics and computer science. It's a pretty heavy load since they are all lab courses except for computer science. I am enjoying being back at school though. It feels good to be on the path to what you really want to do. Recently I've been looking into school options for next year. I think I've decided that I want to go to a school that offers some sort of bachelor program to do with architecture. The schools that offer these types of programs are few and far between. They are basically: UBC, UofC, U of Manitoba, Mcgill, Carlton, U of Toronto and Dalhousie. The advantage to getting into one of these programs would be 1. a degree that would have a lot more to do with architecture and 2. It would knock off a year of my overall schooling which would be nice. The only thing is, they are pretty hard to get into. Not only do you need to have good grades, but you have to write and essay and send in a portfolio of work (which doesn't really make sense to me since that would be the reason I would be going to school. To learn how to design and stuff that would go into a portfolio). So obviously the one I would like to go to in regards of ease of move and being close to family, would be UBC. The one I would really like to go to because of how good the program is would be Dalhousie and the one I will most likely get into would be UofC. So we'll see which ones I get into and go from there. On the family front, things are going pretty good. There's been a large learning curve with me going to school and having little to no time at all. It's tough on Sarah and I feel bad about it but I know it will be for the best in the end. Adriel and sloan are soo cute. Adriel has started soccer and gymnastics and he loves them. I'm so lucky to have such a great family. I realize that my blog posts are probably very boring for anyone to read, especially compared to the rest of the fam damily. No witty comments, no comical phrases. So I apologize to all who read. Till next time...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey fetch head. start writing again. It's been over a year. And you're Dad didn't say "son you're ___ high". :)
ReplyDelete