Sunday, July 12, 2009

Fresh start

So...........it's been longer than I had anticipated to write again. This trend has happened many times in my journal also and I always feel like, " Well it's been a while since I've written and I don't want to put the effort into remembering all the things that happened since the last time I wrote let alone write them all down so...... how bout a fresh start." I'm trying not to fall into that trend now but, we'll see. So, things are going well on the home front. Almost done my upgrade courses and I feel like I've done pretty well especially considering I've had to juggle work, church calling and family all along with it. It's been a stressful few months but it will be worth it. So now I'm excited to start REAL school in the fall. I don't know why, but ever since a few months before I started my summer courses I have just been really excited to go back to school and at the prospect of learning new things. Since the last time I wrote, one of the jobs I had was doing a floor for a retired architect. We talked quite a bit and formed a friendly bond. He naturally talked about his proffesion and I told him that I had been going to school to become an architect back in 2005 but due to some circumstances, I wasn't able to return to school after the summer break and had been working in the labor force ever since. Through those years of working I had heard that it was hard to get a job as an architect and there were a lot of starving architects out there. He said that wasn't true and we went on this whole discussion about architecture. For 4 days we talked about architecture type of stuff. Like buildings I like, school subjects that I've enjoyed and stuff like that. On that note, one of my favorite buildings built is called hagia sophia, in turkey. It's a beutiful building, especially inside. So anyway, by the end of this job he had me convinced that I should go back into architecture. He thinks that I would be a great architect and that there are not too many architects that have the passion about architecture that I do. So that was nice to hear. I thought a lot about this decision and I feel really really good about it. Besides the only reason I wanted to do engineering was because I thought it was the next best thing to architecture. My only concern was that architecture seems to me one of those proffesions where you either have it or you don't. What I mean is that it seemed like a proffesion where diligence couldn't be an adequate replacement for talent. So that concerned because how do I know if I will be good at it or not. I voiced this concern and he said that I knew that wasn't true just from my experience with tiling. (which is totally true. the architect on this job that we did for knappett was totally out to lunch. I could have done a better job on the drawings right now without any schooling. Moron.) So long story short, I'm going to go back to school for architecture. It seems that everyone has a different opinion on this but, mine is that I believe that I will be happy as an architect and because of that I will be good at it. I think that the time spent through schooling will be worth it in the end. To have a good job that I enjoy. On the family front, things are good as always. Sloan is growing so fast. He's sitting up now and he is so cute. Adriel is his normal cute and slightly annoying self. Oh, we are looking at buying a place. Its on highland rd. Its kind of like a duplex but in a large complex. It needs a bunch of work but it will be nice to have our own place, and it will actually be cheaper than paying rent. We're going to put an offer on it tomorrow so we'll see how that goes. Until next time.....

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kyle! I'm so glad Sarah shared your link. I hope its okay that I am reading it. I just wanted to say that I think you are doing the right thing pursuing architecture - I think you should do what you love.

    ReplyDelete